Date last Updated: 27.03.2018
BAI Claims Services Ltd (“BAICS”) is strongly committed to protecting your personal information, and we want to assure you that your information will be properly managed and protected while in our hands. Your privacy is important to us, and this privacy statement explains how we use any personal information we collect about you during the course of handling occupational disease claims.
What we do
BAICS provides run-off services to Builders Accident Insurance (BAI) under a Run-off Management Agreement between BAI and BAICS, and PricewaterhouseCoopers were appointed Scheme Administrators for the BAI Estate. We also provide services to other companies on behalf of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
This privacy statement relates to our use of any personal information we hold on you, obtained by email, telephone, in person or through third party sources.
We may receive personal information about you in any of the following ways:
- Telephoning, texting, writing by post or e-mail;
- Instructions received from your solicitor in order for us to process your claim;
- Your employment history from HMRC;
- From medical professionals or your employer.
This information may include:
- Basic personal details such as your name, address, date of birth or age, gender, marital status, National Insurance number;
- Sensitive personal information, i.e. health information. We will always be clear to explain when and why we need this information and the purposes for which we will use it, and we will always seek your permission prior to contacting medical professionals.
How we use your personal information to help you
We collect your personal information in order to process your claim. We do so with your consent and/or as necessary to:
- operate our business
- meet our contractual responsibilities and legal obligations
- protect the security of our systems
- verify your identity and carry out anti-fraud checks
- handle complaints – if you make a complaint about the service we have provided, we may be obliged to forward details about your complaint, including your personal information, to the relevant ombudsman.
We share your personal data with other insurers, with your consent or as necessary to process your claim, as well as certain statutory and authorised bodies, where applicable.
Information we collect through Cookies and similar technologies
The cookies used on our website consist of:
- Session cookies – these help with form filling and remembering the information input when navigating between pages. These are destroyed when the browser window is closed.
- Google Analytics cookies for monitoring website usage.
How we share your information outside of BAICS
Your information may be disclosed when we believe in good faith that the disclosure is:
- required by law;
- required to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process;
- for the prevention or detection of crime – we may share your information with regulatory bodies, as well as with other insurance companies, to prevent and detect fraud.
We may disclose your information to third party suppliers or service providers to conduct our business – for example, to help administer your claim, to help us manage and store data and to communicate with you effectively. These third parties include, but are not restricted to:
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (the Scheme Administrator appointed to BAI)
- The Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
- Panel solicitors
BAICS is committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of your personal data. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal data from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. For example, we store the personal data you provide on computer systems that have limited access and are in controlled facilities. When we transmit highly confidential data over the internet, we protect it through the use of encryption.
How to access and control your personal data
- You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you in a Subject Access Request. To do this, simply write to us at the address below under “How to contact us”. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing you with details of any personal information we may hold about you.
- You have choices about the data we hold. Whenever you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to benefit from that service.
- We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up-to-date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate or is no longer required.
- If the processing of personal data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time for future processing.
- You have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”), which can be contacted by telephoning their helpline on 0303 123 1113 or writing to the following address:Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House,Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
Retention periods are independent of format and therefore can be applied to any medium, whether paper or electronic.
BAICS retains personal data for as long as necessary to provide our claims management service, or for other essential purposes such as complying with legal obligations, fraud monitoring, and resolving disputes.
Medical records are sent for confidential destruction 6 months after the claim has been settled and archived.
All Policy records for BAI are subject to an indefinite retention period, which means that files will be retained for a longer period than they would normally be legally required. They will not be disposed of at all whilst the Estate continues to receive and handle claims on behalf of BAI (Run-Off) Ltd.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We will update this privacy statement when necessary in order to keep it up-to-date or to comply with legal requirements. If we post changes to this statement, we will revise the “last updated” date at the top of the statement. We would encourage you to periodically check this Privacy Notice for updates.
How to contact us
BAI Claims Services Ltd,
T: 01244 370077